Everyone has a bucket list don’t they?
I’ve been fortunate enough to be able to have travelled extensively since my late 20’s – through dogged saving and determination to see the world as far as my limited funds would carry me. I’m glad to have reached 50 and had a wealth of experiences to look back on.
There are so many things to see and do. Every time I think I am knocking that wish list back into shape, something else hones into view to tempt me into another trip. Bloody hell!!!! The promise of being able to do things on my bucket list is the only way I can stop myself from screaming with frustration at having to be a wage slave.
The good thing about a bucket list is that it keeps that fire alive; even when energy levels drop and the desire to go to every beach party, festival or dance event isn’t there. It reminds me there is so much more to life than having a good job and a mortgage.
For my 50th birthday year (although I was only 49 for one of my list wishes), I decided I would make sure I would tick off 2 of my list. They included ‘something to do with handling monkeys’ and a huskey ride. Although I had my monkey experience in November 2015 and the Huskey ride this year – February 2016, they were such amazing experiences that I will post some photos on another post as they were just too good not to. Here’s my current bucket list and counting……
Bucket List (as of November 2016)
- Have fun in Las Vegas
- Work with elephants*
- Retreat at Skyros
- Spend a night in an Ice Hotel
- Spend a night in a gypsy caravan
- Holiday in a house boat
- Get a tattoo
- Start a small business
- Spend New Years Eve in Times Square
- Take mum to Lourdes
- See the Northern Lights (tried x2 but yet to see them in their full glory!)
- Learn to swim
- Visit Japan
- Sleep in a glass igloo in Finland
- Kiss under mistletoe
- See Venice Carnival and the Masquerade Ball
- Go to Mexico during Day of the Dead festivities
- Experience the Rio carnival
- Stay at underwater hotel in Fiji
- Visit a pink beach
- Go for a camping trip in a VW campervan
- Work with dogs
- Learn how to dance a Charleston
- Micheldever Forest (Hampshire) with bluebell “purple carpet” in bloom
- Winter Wonderland in Milan
- Hot tub cave, Santorini
Ask me tomorrow and I guarantee there will be another 5 items on there. I may have to update it again in a couple of months!
* I have just paid my deposit for a 2-week trip to Chiang Mai, Thailand next year to work with elephants at the Elephant National Park. Beyond excited!